- In Stock
- Product Code:
- WA12MKii 
Warm Audio WA12 MKII Discrete Microphone Preamp
The WA12 MKII is a completely discrete, high voltage, dual-transformer microphone preamplifier design with high gain (+71dB), high headroom, low noise, and an exciting sonic performance – great for all types of recording applications. A high quality mic preamp is one of the most critical pieces needed to achieve the elusive ‘larger than life’ sound, and the WA12 MKII is more than capable of delivering.
The WA12 MKII is based around a discrete op-amp, the X731, which is WARM's own reproduction of the vintage classic Melcor 1731, considered by some to be the warmer predecessor to the modern 2520-style op-amp. The X731 can achieve vibrant, clean and lifelike tones; but can also be driven into mild saturation at much higher gain levels. The effects can be subtle, but very pleasing to the ear. The WA12 MKII can also accept any discrete op-amp on the market which conforms to the +/-16v, 2520 pinout standard.
- Utilizes premium grade input and output usa cinemag transformers.
- Fully discrete design with a robust 71db of gain.
- Utilizes a discrete 6-pin socketed 1731 style opamp. can be replaced with other 6-pin "2520 foot-print" opamps for varying tone/flavor.
- 20db pad.
- Tone button – switches the input impedance from 600 ohms to 150 ohms. changes the tone of both the mic and hi-z inputs.
- Mic level balanced input: xlr.
- 2 meg ohm true hi-z input on front panel. sends instrument signal through entire circuit including both cinemag transformers and discrete opamp. great for guitars, bass, keyboards and other instruments that have a 1/4″ output jack.
- Balanced outputs: xlr and 1/4″/trs.
- 48 volt phantom power.
- LED meter gain indication.
- Output attenuation control (after the cinemag output transformer) allows for driving the preamp and transformers into saturation.
- Switchable 115/230 volt iec power inlet.